What is Zinc Chloride?
Zinc chloride, also called zinc butter, is the name of chemical compounds and hydrates with the formula ZnCl2. Zinc chlorides, of which nine crystalline forms are known, are colorless or white and highly soluble in water. This white salt is hygroscopic and even liquid. Therefore, samples should be protected from moisture sources, including water vapor in the ambient air. Zinc chloride finds wide application in textile processing, metallurgical fluxes and chemical synthesis. Except for the very rare cimoncolleite mineral Zn5(OH)8Cl2·H2O, no mineral with this chemical composition is known.
How is Zinc Chloride produced?
Anhydrous ZnCl2 can be prepared from zinc and hydrogen chloride:
Zn + 2 HCl → ZnCl2 + H2
Hydrated forms and aqueous solutions can be prepared similarly by treating Zn metal, zinc carbonate, zinc oxide, and zinc sulfide with hydrochloric acid:
ZnS + 2 HCl + 4 H2O → ZnCl2(H2O)4 + H2S
Unlike many other elements, zinc essentially only exists in one oxidation state, which simplifies the purification of chloride.
Commercial zinc chloride samples typically contain water and hydrolysis products. Such samples can be purified by recrystallization from hot dioxane. Anhydrous samples can be purified by sublimation in a stream of hydrogen chloride gas, followed by heating to 400 °C in a sublimated stream of dry nitrogen gas. Finally, the simplest method is based on treating zinc chloride with thionyl chloride.
What does Zinc Chloride look like?
It is in the form and appearance of a white crystalline solid that is hygroscopic and melts with moisture.
What is the molecular formula of Zinc Chloride?
Molecular Formula: ZnCl2
In which sectors is Zinc Chloride used?
- Fingerprint identification
- smoke bombs
- Textile and paper processes
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Disinfectant and wood preservative
- As a metallurgical fluid
- in organic synthesis
What are the usage areas (processes) of Zinc Chloride?
- It is used in the manufacture of solders such as brass, German silver, nickel silver. Zinc chloride reacts with metal oxides (MO) to give derivatives of the idealized formula MZnOCl2. This reaction is related to the use of ZnCl2 solution as a flux for brazing - it dissolves passivating oxides, exposing the clean metal surface. Fluxes containing ZnCl2 as active ingredient are called "tin liquid".
- It can be used in the treatment of age-related eye disorders.
- It can be used in the brightness of the hour and minute hands of the watches.
- It can be used in the content of some over-the-counter ointments for post-burn treatment.
- Zinc chloride is a useful Lewis acid in organic chemistry. Molten zinc chloride catalyzes the conversion of methanol to hexamethylbenzene.
- Konsantre sulu çinko klorür çözeltileri (suda ağırlık/ağırlıkça %64’ten fazla çinko klorür) çözünen nişasta, ipek ve selüloz içerir. Bu malzemelere olan ilgisiyle ilgili olarak ZnCl2, ateşe dayanıklı bir madde olarak ve Febreze gibi kumaş “tazeleticilerinde” kullanılır. Vulkanize elyaf, kâğıdın konsantre çinko klorüre batırılmasıyla yapılır.
- The zinc chloride smoke mixture (“HC”) used in smoke bombs contains zinc oxide, hexachloroethane, and granular aluminum powder, which when ignited, zinc chloride, carbon, and aluminum oxide react to form fumes, forming an effective smoke screen.
- Ninhydrin reacts with amino acids and amines to form a compound colored “Ruhemann purple” (RP). Spraying with zinc chloride solution forms a 1:1 complex RP:ZnCl(H2O)2, which is easier to detect because it fluoresces more intensely than RP.
- Dilute aqueous zinc chloride was used as a disinfectant under the name "Burnett Disinfectant Liquid". From 1839, Sir William Burnett promoted its use as a disinfectant as well as a wood preservative. The Royal Navy experimented with its use as a disinfectant in the late 1840s, including during the cholera epidemic of 1849, and also on its protective properties, which was applicable to the shipbuilding and railroad industries. Burnett had some commercial success with his eponymous liquid. After his death, however, its use was largely replaced by carbolic acid and other proprietary products.
What is the Zinc Chloride Sale Price?
You can call us to find out the current zinc chloride sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can You Buy Zinc Chloride?
As SoleChem Kimya, we are selling and supplying zinc chloride.