What is Sulfamic Acid?
Sulfamic acid, also known as amidosulfonic acid, amidosulfuric acid, aminosulfonic acid, and sulfamidic acid, is a molecular compound with the formula H3NSO3. This colorless, water-soluble compound is used in many fields. Sulfamic acid melts at 205°C before decomposing to water, sulfur trioxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen at higher temperatures.
Sulfamic acid (H3NSO3) can be thought of as an intermediate between sulfuric acid (H2SO4) and sulfamide (H4N2SO2), effectively replacing a hydroxyl (–OH) group with an amine (–NH2) group at each step. This pattern cannot extend in either direction without cleaving the sulfonyl (-SO2-) moiety. Sulfamates are derivatives of sulfamic acid.
How is Sulfamic Acid produced?
Sulfamic acid is produced industrially by treating urea with a mixture of sulfur trioxide and sulfuric acid (or oleum). The conversion is carried out in two stages:
OC(NH2)2 + SO3 → OC(NH2)(NHSO3H)
OC(NH2)(NHSO3H) + H2SO4 → CO2 + 2H3NSO3
What does Sulfamic Acid look like?
White, odorless and crystalline solid
What is the molecular formula of Sulfamic Acid?
Molecular Formula: H3NSO3
In which sectors is Sulfamic Acid used?
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Paint and pigment production
- fire prevention systems
- paper industry
- Nitrate nitrite separator in Brown ring test
- Domestic and industrial cleaner / descaler
What are the usage areas (processes) of Sulfamic Acid?
- Sulfamic acid is a precursor to mainly sweet-tasting compounds. Reaction with cyclohexylamine followed by addition of NaOH gives C6H11NHSO3Na, sodium cyclamate. Related compounds are also sweeteners such as acesulfame potassium.
- Sulfamates are used in the contents of many drugs such as antibiotics, weight loss drugs, nucleoside / nucleotide human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) reverse transcriptase inhibitors, HIV protease inhibitors (PIs), anticancer drugs (steroid sulfatase and carbonic anhydrase inhibitors), antiepileptic drugs.
- It is used as a catalyst for the esterification process.
- Sulfamic acid is used for dye and pigment production.
- Urea is used as a coagulator for formaldehyde resins.
- Sulfamic acid is the main raw material of ammonium sulfamate, a widely used herbicide and flame retardant material for household products.
- It is used in the pulp and paper industry as a chloride stabilizer.
- Sulfamic acid is used for the synthesis of nitrous oxide by reacting with nitric acid.
- The deprotonated form (sulfamate) is a common counterion for nickel(II) in electroplating.
- It is used to separate nitrite ions from a mixture of nitrite and nitrate ions (NO3− + NO2−) during the qualitative analysis of nitrate with the Brown Ring test.
- Sulfamic acid is used as an acidic cleaning agent, typically for metals and ceramics, sometimes as a component of pure or proprietary blends. It is often used to remove rust and limescale to replace the cheaper, more volatile and irritating hydrochloric acid.
- It can be used as a descaler in domestic coffee and espresso machines and denture cleaners.
- It can also be used for industrial cleaning of dairy and brewery equipment.
What is the Selling Price of Sulfamic Acid?
You can call us to learn the current sulfamic acid sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Sulfamic Acid?
As SoleChem Kimya, we sell and supply sulfamic acid.