What is Straw Caustic?
Straws caustic, also known as caustic soda and sodium hydroxide, is an inorganic compound with the formula NaOH. It is a white solid ionic compound composed of Na+ sodium cations and OH- from hydroxide anions.
Sodium hydroxide is a highly caustic base and alkali that breaks down proteins at normal ambient temperatures and can cause severe chemical burns. It is highly soluble in water and easily absorbs moisture and carbon dioxide from the air. A number of hydrates form NaOH·nH2O. The monohydrate NaOH·H2O crystallizes from water solutions between 12.3 and 61.8 °C. Commercially available “sodium hydroxide” is usually this monohydrate, and published data may refer to it rather than the anhydrous compound.
One of the simplest hydroxides, sodium hydroxide (caustic straws) is often used in combination with neutral water and acidic hydrochloric acid to demonstrate the pH scale to chemistry students.
Sodium hydroxide (straw caustic) is used in many industries: lye lye is used in the manufacture of cellulose and paper, textiles, drinking water, soap and detergents, and as a sewage cleaner.
How is Caustic Straws produced?
Sodyum hidroksit, elektrolitik klor alkali işleminin varyasyonları ile endüstriyel olarak %50’lik bir çözelti olarak üretilir. Bu işlemde klor gazı da üretilir. Bu çözeltiden suyun buharlaştırılmasıyla katı sodyum hidroksit elde edilir. Katı sodyum hidroksit en yaygın olarak pul, maden cevheri ve döküm bloklar olarak satılmaktadır.
Historically, sodium hydroxide metathesis was obtained by treating calcium hydroxide with sodium carbonate, utilizing the dissolution of sodium hydroxide while calcium carbonate is insoluble in the reaction. This process is called causticisation.
This process was replaced by the Solvay process in the late 19th century and was replaced by the chlor-alkali process we use today.
Sodium hydroxide is also produced by combining pure sodium metal with water. By-products are hydrogen gas and heat, which often results in a flame.
How does the sequin caustic look?
It is available as a white flaky solid.
What is the molecular formula of Straw Caustic?
Molecular Formula: NaOH
In which sectors is Straw Caustic used?
- chemical industry
- oil industry
- Cleaning industry
- food industry
- water treatment plants
- textile sector
What are the usage areas (processes) of Straw Caustic?
- Sodium hydroxide is an industrially used strong base. Sodium hydroxide is used in the manufacture of sodium salts and detergents, pH regulation and organic synthesis. In bulk, it is often processed as an aqueous solution, as solutions are cheaper and easier to process.
- Sodium hydroxide is used in many situations where it is desired to increase the alkalinity of a mixture or neutralize acids. For example, in the petroleum industry, sodium hydroxide is used as an additive in drilling mud to increase alkalinity in bentonite mud systems, increase mud viscosity, and neutralize any acid gas that may be encountered in the geological formation as drilling progresses.
- Another use is Salt spray testing where pH needs to be regulated. Sodium hydroxide is used with hydrochloric acid to balance the pH. The resulting salt, NaCl, is the corrosive substance used in the standard neutral pH salt spray test.
- Low quality crude oil can be treated with sodium hydroxide to remove sulfurous impurities in a process known as caustic washing.
- It is used in soap and detergent making. Sodium hydroxide is used for hard bar soap and potassium hydroxide is used for liquid soap. Sodium hydroxide is used more often than potassium hydroxide because it is less expensive and a smaller amount is sufficient.
- It is used as drain cleaners that convert oils containing sodium hydroxide and grease that can clog pipes into water-soluble soap.
- It is used in the manufacture of artificial textile fibers.
- Kâğıt imalatında kullanılır. Üretilen sodyum hidroksitin yaklaşık %56’sı endüstride kullanılmaktadır ve bunun %25’i kâğıt endüstrisinde kullanılmaktadır.
- It is used in the purification of bauxite ore from which aluminum metal is extracted. This is known as the Bayer process.
- It is used in degreasing metals, purifying oil, making paint and bleach.
- It is used for pH regulation in water treatment plants.
- It is used to process bagels and bagel dough and gives a distinctive shiny appearance.
What is the Selling Price of Caustic Straws?
You can call us to learn the current caustic sequin sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Straw Caustic?
As SoleChem Kimya, we are selling and supplying caustic straws.