What is Sodium Nitrate?
Sodium nitrate is the chemical compound with the formula NaNO3. This alkali metal nitrate salt is also known as Chilean saltpeter to distinguish it from potassium nitrate, an ordinary saltpeter. The mineral form is also known as nitratine, nitratite, or soda nitre.
Sodium nitrate is a white, moisture-soluble, water-soluble solid. It is an easily available source of nitrate anions (NO3−), which is useful in a variety of reactions carried out on an industrial scale for the production of fertilizers, pyrotechnics and gas bombs, glass and pottery enamels, food preservatives (especially meats), and solid rocket propellant. Sodium nitrate has an oxidizing and irritating structure.
How is Sodium Nitrate produced?
The largest sources of naturally occurring sodium nitrate are found in Chile and Peru, where nitrate salts are bound in mineral deposits called Chilean saltpeter ore.
Chile still has the world's largest reserves of Chilean saltpeter, with active mines in regions such as Pedro de Valdivia, María Elena and Pampa Blanca. Therefore, the country with the highest production is Chile. Sodium Nitrate was formerly called white gold in Chile. Sodium nitrate, potassium nitrate, sodium sulfate, and iodine are all obtained by processing caliche.
What does Sodium Nitrate look like?
What is the molecular formula of Sodium Nitrate?
Molecular Formula: NaNO3
In which sectors is Sodium Nitrate used?
- nitric acid production
- gold refineries
- Oxidizer in fireworks
- Food preservative and colorant
- heat storage
- waste industry
- Carbon dosing in the aquarium
What are the usage areas (processes) of Sodium Nitrate?
- Sodium nitrate can be combined with sulfuric acid to produce distilled nitric acid.
- Amateur gold refiners use sodium nitrate to make hybrid gold water that dissolves gold and other metals.
- It is used as an oxidizer in fireworks.
- It replaces potassium nitrate in black powder.
- It is available as an ingredient in instant ice packs.
- Sodium nitrate is used for heat storage together with potassium nitrate and calcium nitrate.
- Today it is used for heat transfer in solar power plants.
- It is used in the waste industry for voluntary conditional microorganism respiration. Nitrosomonas, a type of microorganism, consumes nitrate in preference to oxygen, allowing it to grow faster in the wastewater to be treated.
- Sodium nitrate is also sometimes used by marine aquarists using carbon dosing techniques. It is used to increase nitrate levels in water and promote bacterial growth.
- Sodium nitrate is a food additive used as a preservative and color stabilizer in smoked meat and poultry. The E number is E251.
What is the Sodium Nitrate Sale Price?
You can call us to find out the current sodium nitrate sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Sodium Nitrate?
As SoleChem Kimya, we are selling and supplying sodium nitrate.