What is Sodium Bromide?
Sodium bromide is an inorganic compound with the formula NaBr. It is a highly soluble, white, solid and crystalline substance similar to sodium chloride. It is a widely used source of bromide ions and has applications in many fields.
Sodium Bromide (NaBr) crystallizes in the same cubic motif as NaCl, NaF, and NaI. The anhydrous salt crystallizes above 50.7°C. Dihydrate salts (NaBr · 2H2O) crystallize from water solution below 50.7°C.
How is Sodium Bromide produced?
NaBr is produced by treating sodium hydroxide with hydrogen bromide.
Sodium bromide can be used as a source of the chemical element bromine. This can be accomplished by treating an aqueous solution of NaBr with chlorine gas:
2 NaBr + Cl2 → br2 + 2 NaCl
What does Sodium Bromide look like?
White, crystalline solid
What is the molecular formula of Sodium Bromide?
Molecular Formula: NaBr
In which industries is Sodium Bromide used?
- Pharmaceutical industry
- chemical reactions
- Pool and jacuzzi disinfectant
- oil wells
What are the uses (processes) of Sodium Bromide?
- Also known as sedoneural, sodium bromide was widely used as an anticonvulsant and sedative in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Its effect is due to the bromide ion, and therefore potassium bromide is equally effective.
- Sodium bromide is widely used in organic synthesis and the preparation of other bromides. It is a source of bromide nucleophiles for converting alkyl chlorides to more reactive alkyl bromides by the Finkelstein reaction.
- The light-sensitive salty silver bromide is prepared using NaBr, which was once a great need in photography but is now shrinking in industry.
- Sodium bromide is used together with chlorine as a disinfectant for hot tubs and swimming pools.
- Due to its high solubility in water (943.2 g/L or 9.16 mol/L at 25°C), sodium bromide is used in dense drilling fluids used in oil wells to compensate for a possible overpressure in the fluid column and to counter a possible explosion. used to prepare. The presence of the sodium cation also causes swelling of the bentonite added to the drilling fluid, while the high ionic strength induces the bentonite agglomeration.
What is the Sale Price of Sodium Bromide?
You can call us to find out the current sodium bromide sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Sodium Bromide?
As SoleChem Kimya, we sell and supply sodium bromide.