What is Salicylic Acid?
Salicylic acid is a lipophilic monohydroxybenzoic acid, a type of phenolic acid, and a beta hydroxy acid (BHA). This colorless crystalline organic acid is widely used in organic synthesis and acts as a plant hormone. It is obtained from the metabolism of salicin. In addition to serving as an important active metabolite of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid), which acts in part as a prodrug for salicylic acid, it is probably best known for its use as a key ingredient in topical anti-acne products. Salts and esters of salicylic acid are known as salicylates.
The safest and most effective drugs needed in a healthcare system are included in the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines.
It occurs naturally in the bark of the willow tree and a number of other plants.
How is Salicylic Acid produced?
Salicylic acid has the formula C6H4(OH)COOH where the OH group is ortho to the carboxyl group. It is also known as 2-hydroxybenzoic acid. Very slightly soluble in water (2 g/L at 20°C). Salicylic acid is biosynthesized from the amino acid phenylalanine. Sodium salicylate is prepared commercially by treating sodium phenolate (the sodium salt of phenol) with carbon dioxide at high pressure (100 atm) and high temperature (115 °C). This method is known as the Kolbe-Schmitt reaction. Acidification of the product with sulfuric acid gives salicylic acid.
It can also be prepared by hydrolysis of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) or methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen) with a strong acid or base.
Salicylic acid decomposes into phenol and carbon dioxide at 200-230 °C.
C6H4OH(CO2H) → C6H5OH + CO2
What does Salicylic Acid look like?
It is a white-cream light colored, odorless, powdery needle-like structure.
What is the molecular formula of Salicylic Acid?
Molecular Formula: C7H6HE3
In which sectors is Salicylic Acid used?
- In the medical sector and in the content of many drugs
- As a preservative in the food industry
What are the usage areas (processes) of Salicylic Acid?
- As a medicine, salicylic acid is most commonly used to help repair the outer layer of the skin. For this reason, it is used to treat warts, psoriasis, acne, ringworm, dandruff, and ichthyosis.
- Similar to other hydroxy acids, salicylic acid is an essential ingredient in many skin care products for the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis, acne, psoriasis, calluses, corns, keratosis pilaris, acanthosis nigricans, ichthyosis and warts.
- Salicylic acid is used in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals.
- Salicylic acid was used as one of the original starting materials to make acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) in 1897.
- Derivatives are used in anti-inflammatory drugs, mild antibiotics, and drugs to improve muscle pain.
- It is used as an active ingredient in pain relievers.
- Salicylic acid is used as a food preservative, bactericide and antiseptic.
- Sodium salicylate is a useful phosphor in the vacuum ultraviolet spectral range with nearly flat quantum efficiency for wavelengths between 10 and 100 nm.
What is the Salicylic Acid Sale Price?
You can call us to find out the current salicylic acid sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Salicylic Acid?
As SoleChem Kimya, we sell and supply salicylic acid.