What is Potassium Permanganate?
Potassium permanganate is an inorganic compound with the chemical formula KMnO4 and consisting of K+ and MnO−4. It is a purplish-black crystalline salt that dissolves in water giving intense pink or purple solutions.
Potassium permanganate is widely used in the chemical industry and laboratories as a powerful oxidizing agent, as well as a drug for dermatitis, cleaning of wounds and general disinfection. It is included in the WHO Model List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective drugs needed in a healthcare system.
How is Potassium Permanganate produced?
Potassium permanganate is produced industrially from manganese dioxide, which also occurs as the mineral pyrolusite. MnO2 is fused with potassium hydroxide and heated in air or another oxygen source such as potassium nitrate or potassium chlorate. This process yields potassium manganate:
2 MnO2 + 4 KOH + O2 → 2 K2MnO4 + 2 H2O
With sodium hydroxide, the end product is not sodium manganate but a Mn(V) compound, which is a reason why potassium permanganate is more widely used than sodium permanganate. Also, the potassium salt crystallizes better.
Potassium manganate is then converted to permanganate by electrolytic oxidation in alkaline medium:
2 K2MnO4 + 2 H2O → 2 KMnO4 + 2 KOH + H2
Endüstriyel olarak %20’den %99’a kadar farklı konsantrasyonlarda elde edilebilir.
How does Potassium Permanganate look?
It is found in the form of purplish, bronze, gray needle-shaped powder.
It is present in solution as pinkish, purplish.
What is the molecular formula of Potassium Permanganate?
Molecular Formula: KMnO4
In which sectors is Potassium Permanganate used?
- Medicine and Pharmaceutical industry
- water treatment industry
- Synthesis of organic compounds
- fruit shelf life extender
- fire service
- Film and performing arts industry
- agriculture sector
What are the usage areas (processes) of Potassium Permanganate?
- Almost all applications of potassium permanganate benefit from its oxidizing properties. As a strong oxidizer that does not form toxic by-products, KMnO4 has many uses.
- Potassium permanganate is used in the treatment of many skin conditions. This includes fungal foot infections, impetigo, pemphigus, superficial sores, dermatitis and tropical ulcers. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines as one of the safest and most effective drugs.
- Potassium permanganate is widely used in the water treatment industry. It is used as a regeneration chemical to remove iron and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) from well water with a "Manganese Green Sand" Filter. “It is also available from pool supply stores and is also used to treat wastewater. It has historically been used to disinfect drinking water. It is currently finding application in freshwater collection and treatment systems to control nuisance organisms such as zebra mussels.
- An important application of Potassium Permanganate is its use as a reagent for the synthesis of organic compounds. Significant amounts are required for the synthesis of ascorbic acid, chloramphenicol, saccharin, isonicotinic acid, and pyrazinoic acid.
- Ethylene absorbers extend the storage time of bananas, even at high temperatures. This effect can be exploited by packing the bananas in polyethylene with potassium permanganate. Permanganate removes ethylene by oxidation, delaying ripening, extending the shelf life of the fruit up to 4 weeks without the need for refrigeration.
- Potassium permanganate is sometimes included in first aid kits: as a hypergolic fire starter; as a water sterilizer; it can be used to generate distress signals in the snow.
- Potassium permanganate is added to “plastic sphere dispersants” to create rebound, burning and controlled burns. Polymer spheres, resembling ping pong balls containing small amounts of permanganate, are injected with ethylene glycol and launched towards the area where ignition is desired, where they spontaneously ignite within seconds.
- Potassium permanganate is one of the main chemicals used in the film and television industries to age props and clothing. Its ready conversion to brown MnO2 creates “hundred-year-old” or “antique” looks on Hessian fabric (burlap), ropes, timber and glass.
- In agricultural chemistry, it is used for the estimation of nitrogen in the soil.
What is the Potassium Permanganate Sales Price?
You can call us to find out the current potassium permanganate sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Potassium Permanganate?
As SoleChem Kimya, we sell and supply potassium permanganate.