What is Potassium Chloride?
Potassium chloride is a metal halide salt composed of potassium and chlorine. It dissolves easily in water and the resulting solutions taste like salt. Sylvite is also known as KCl or potassium salt. KCl is used as a fertilizer, in medicine, in scientific applications and in food processing where it is known as the E number additive E508.
It occurs naturally as the mineral sylvite and in combination with sodium chloride as sylvinite.
How is Potassium Chloride produced?
Potassium chloride can be obtained from old dried lake beds.
What does Potassium Chloride look like?
It is in solid form, odorless and white & colorless crystallized.
What is the molecular formula of Potassium Chloride?
Molecular Formula: KCI
In which sectors is Potassium Chloride used?
- As fertilizer
- medical use
- Use in the food industry & kitchen
- In the pet industry
- As a fire extinguishing agent
- In oil and gas facilities
- In glass production
What are the usage areas (processes) of Potassium Chloride?
- The majority of potassium chloride produced is used to make a fertilizer called potash, as the availability of potassium limits the growth of many plants. There are two main types of potash available. The first is potash muriate (potassium chloride) and the second is potassium sulfate (potassium sulfate). Potassium sulfate is typically sold high to potassium chloride, while the vast majority of potash fertilizer worldwide is sold as potassium chloride.
- Potassium is vital in the human body and potassium chloride is commonly used to treat low blood potassium, although it can also be given intravenously. Potassium is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines. Overdose causes hyperkalemia, which can impair cell signaling to the extent that the heart stops reversibly in some open heart surgeries.
- It can be used as a salt substitute for food, but because of its bitter and unsalted taste, it is often mixed with regular table salt (sodium chloride) to improve the taste to form normal sodium salt.
- It is used in the production of potassium hydroxide and potassium metal as a chemical raw material.
- It is also used in medicine, lethal injection, scientific practice, food processing, soaps, and as a sodium-free substitute for table salt for people concerned about the health effects of sodium.
- It is used as a supplement in animal feed to increase the number of nutrients in the feed, which promotes healthy growth in animals. As an added benefit, it is known to increase milk production.
- It is sometimes used in water as a make-up liquid in oil and natural gas production facilities, while it is used as an alternative to sodium chloride in household water softener units.
- They are used as a melting agent in glass production. Because potash imparts excellent clarity to glass, it is often used in eyeglasses, glassware, televisions and computer monitors.
- Along with sodium chloride and lithium chloride, potassium chloride is used as a fluid for gas welding of aluminum.
- Potassium chloride is used as a fire extinguishing agent, once used in portable and wheeled fire extinguishers.
- Potassium chloride is used in some defrosting products designed to be safer for pets and plants.
- KCl is useful as a source of beta radiation for calibration of radiation monitoring equipment because it contains 0.0118 of the native potassium isotope 40K%.
What is the Potassium Chloride Sales Price?
You can call us to find out the current potassium chloride sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Potassium Chloride?
As SoleChem Kimya, we sell and supply potassium chloride.