What is Polyvinyl Alcohol?
Polyvinyl alcohol is a water-soluble synthetic polymer. Its chemical formula is [CH2CH (OH)]. PVOH, PVA, or PVAl There are also nomenclatures available. It is used as a thickener and emulsion stabilizer in papermaking, textile warp sizing, PVAc adhesive formulations and various coatings. It is colorless (white) and odorless. It is usually sold as beads or as a solution in water.
How is Polyvinyl Alcohol produced?
PVA is prepared by hydrolysis of polyvinyl acetate or sometimes other vinyl ester-derived polymers with formate or chloroacetate groups instead of acetate. That is, unlike most vinyl polymers, PVA is not prepared by polymerization of the corresponding monomer, as the monomer, vinyl alcohol, tautomer is thermodynamically unstable with respect to acetaldehyde. Conversion of polyvinyl esters is usually accomplished by base-catalyzed transesterification with ethanol:
[CH2CH (OAc)] n + C2H5OH → [CH2CH (OH)] n + C2H5OAc
The properties of the polymer are affected by the degree of transesterification.
How does Polyvinyl Alcohol look?
It is whitish colorless and odorless. It appears as granules or as an aqueous solution.
What is the molecular formula of Polyvinyl Alcohol?
Its molecular formula: (C2H4HEx)
In which sectors is Polyvinyl Alcohol used?
- Medical Industry
- Eye Drops; Contact Lenses; Tablet Medicines
- photography industry
- Fiber Production Industry
- Paper Manufacturing Industry
- Agricultural Sector and Seed Production
- Cosmetics Industry
What are the usage areas (processes) of Polyvinyl Alcohol?
- PVA is used in a variety of medical applications due to its biocompatibility, low propensity for protein adhesion, and low toxicity. Medical uses include cartilage replacements, contact lenses, and eye drops.
- It is used in the content of cosmetic products produced for face masks and acne treatments.
- Polyvinyl alcohol is used as an aid in suspension polymerizations. Its greatest application in China is its use as a protective colloid to make polyvinyl acetate dispersions.
- It can be used in the agricultural sector due to its emulsion polymerization feature.
- Its main use in Japan is Vinylon fiber production. This fiber is also produced in North Korea due to its self-sufficiency because no oil is needed to produce it.
- Another application area of polyvinyl alcohol is photographic film and packaging.
- PVA is used as a pigment binder in paper coatings.
- Thanks to its lubricating feature, it is used in eye drops developed to relieve eye dryness.
- Today, PVA-based polymers are widely used in additive manufacturing. For example, 3D printed oral dosage forms hold great potential in the pharmaceutical industry.
- It is possible to produce tablet medicaments with modified drug release properties, in which PVA is used as a binder.
- Medically, it can also be used as an embolic agent in a Uterine Fibroid Embolectomy (UFE).
What is the Sales Price of Polyvinyl Alcohol?
You can call us to learn the current polyvinyl alcohol sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Polyvinyl Alcohol?
As SoleChem Kimya, we sell and supply polyvinyl alcohol.