What is melamine?
Melamine is an organic compound with the formula C3H6N6. This white solid is a trimer of cyanamide with a 1,3,5-triazine skeleton. Like cyanamide, % contains 67 nitrogen by mass and its derivatives have flame-retardant properties as they release nitrogen gas when burned or charred. It can be dissolved in water.
Melamine can be combined with formaldehyde and other substances to produce melamine resins. These resins are durable, thermosetting plastics used in high pressure decorative laminates such as Formica, melamine dinnerware, laminate flooring and dry wipe boards. Melamine foam insulation is used as a sound insulation material and in polymeric cleaning products such as Magic Eraser.
Melamine is sometimes illegally added to food products to increase their visible protein content. Ingestion of melamine can cause reproductive harm, kidney stones, or bladder cancer. It is also irritating when inhaled or in contact with the skin or eyes. The Codex Alimentarius Commission, the food standards agency of the United Nations, has determined the maximum amount of melamine allowed in powdered baby food as 1 mg / kg and the amount of chemicals allowed in other foods and animal feeds as 2.5 mg / kg.
How is melamine produced?
İlk olarak 1834 senesinde Alman bir kimyager olan Justus von Liebig tarafından sentezlenmiştir. %66 oranında azot içermektedir.
How does melamine look?
What is the molecular formula of melamine?
Molecular Formula: C3H6N6
In which sectors is melamine used?
- Melamine resin production
- Production of insulation material
- Ink and plastic production
- Concrete and foundry industry
- kitchen counters
- Fertilizer production
- fire retardant substance
- Production of flame resistant clothing
What are the usage areas (processes) of melamine?
- A large part of melamine is combined with formaldehyde and other substances to produce melamine resins. These resins are used in various sectors as mentioned above.
- Melamine foam is used as insulation, sound insulation material and in the production of polymeric cleaning products such as Magic Eraser.
- Melamine is one of the main components of Pigment Yellow 150, a colorant in inks and plastics.
- Melamine is also used to manufacture melamine polysulfonate, which is used as a superplasticizer to make high strength concrete. Sulfonated melamine formaldehyde (SMF) is a polymer used as a cement additive to reduce the water content in concrete while increasing the flowability and workability of the mixture during processing and pouring. It provides concrete with lower porosity and higher mechanical strength, improved resistance to aggressive environments and a longer life.
- Melamine was used as a fertilizer for crops in the 1950s and 1960s due to its high nitrogen content. Melamine production is much more expensive than other common nitrogen fertilizers such as urea and its mineralization is slow, making it a useless fertilizer today.
- Melamine and its salts are used as fire retardant additives in paints, plastics and paper.
- Melamine fiber, Basofil, has low thermal conductivity, excellent flame resistance and is self-extinguishing; This makes it useful for flame retardant protective clothing, either alone or in combination with other fibres.
- Melamine derivatives of arsenic drugs are important in the treatment of African trypanosomiasis.
- The use of melamine as non-protein nitrogen (NPN) for cattle is disclosed in a 1958 patent. However, a 1978 study concluded that melamine “may not be an acceptable source of non-protein N for ruminants” because its hydrolysis in cattle is slower and less complete than other nitrogen sources such as cottonseed meal and urea.
- Melamine is sometimes illegally added to food products to increase their visible protein content. Standard tests like the Kjeldahl and Dumas tests estimate protein levels by measuring nitrogen content, so they can be mistaken by adding nitrogen-rich compounds like melamine. Today, instruments are available that can separate melamine nitrogen from protein nitrogen.
What is the Selling Price of Melamine?
You can call us to learn the current melamine sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Melamine?
As SoleChem Kimya, we sell and supply melamine.