What is Magnesium Chloride?
Magnezyum klorür, MgCl2 formülüne ve onun çeşitli hidratlarına MgCl2(H2O)x sahip kimyasal bileşiğin adıdır. Susuz MgCl2 kütlece %25,5 elemental magnezyum içerir. Bu tuzlar, suda oldukça çözünür olan tipik iyonik halojenürlerdir. Hidratlı magnezyum klorür tuzlu su veya deniz suyundan ekstrakte edilebilir. Kuzey Amerika’da magnezyum klorür esas olarak Büyük Tuz Gölü tuzlu suyundan üretilir. Ürdün Vadisi’ndeki Ölü Deniz’den benzer bir işlemle çıkarılır. Doğal mineral bischofit olarak magnezyum klorür de (çözelti madenciliği ile) eski deniz yataklarından, örneğin kuzeybatı Avrupa’daki Zechstein deniz yatağından çıkarılır. Bazı magnezyum klorür maddesi, deniz suyunun güneş buharlaşmasından yapılır. Susuz magnezyum klorür, büyük ölçekte üretilen magnezyum metalinin başlıca öncüsüdür. Hidratlı magnezyum klorür en kolay bulunabilen formdur.
How is Magnesium Chloride produced?
Magnesium Chloride crystallizes in the cadmium chloride motif with octahedral Mg centers. Several hydrates with the formula MgCl2(H2O)x are known, and each loses water at higher temperatures: x = 12 (−16.4 °C), 8 (−3.4 °C), 6 (116.7 °C), 4 (181 °C) , 2 (approx. 300 °C). In the hexahydrate, Mg2+ is also octahedral, but coordinated with six water ligands. Thermal dehydration of hydrates to MgCl2(H2O)x (x = 6, 12) does not occur directly. Anhydrous MgCl2 is produced industrially by heating the [Mg(NH3)6]2+ chloride salt of the hexamine complex.
Anhydrous MgCl2 is a Lewis acid, although weak, as can be seen from the presence of some hydrates.
In the Dow process, magnesium chloride is regenerated from magnesium hydroxide using hydrochloric acid:
Mg(OH)2(s) + 2 HCl(aq) → MgCl2(aq) + 2 H2O(l)
It can also be prepared from magnesium carbonate by a similar reaction.
Derivatives containing tetrahedral Mg2+ are less common. Examples include salts of (N(C2H5)4)2MgCl4 and adducts such as MgCl2(TMEDA).
What does Magnesium Chloride look like?
It exists as a white or colorless crystalline solid.
What is the molecular formula of Magnesium Chloride?
Molecular Formula: MgCl2
In which industries is Magnesium Chloride used?
- Chemical treatments
- Dust and erosion control
- Catalyst support
- Icing control
- Pharmaceutical industry
- food industry
- Agriculture and gardening
What are the uses (processes) of Magnesium Chloride?
- Anhydrous MgCl2 is the main precursor of metallic magnesium. The reduction of Mg2+ to metallic Mg0 is accomplished by electrolysis in molten salt. As is the case with aluminum, an electrolysis in aqueous solution is not possible as the metallic magnesium produced will react immediately with water, or in other words the water will be reduced to gaseous H2 before the Mg reduction of H+ takes place. Therefore, direct electrolysis of molten MgCl in the absence of water is necessary because the reduction potential to obtain Mg is lower in an Eh–pH diagram (Pourbaix diagram) than the stability field of water.
MgCl2 → Mg + Cl2
The production of metallic magnesium (reduction reaction) at the cathode is accompanied by the release of gaseous chlorine by oxidation of chloride anions at the anode. This process has been developed on a large industrial scale.
- Magnesium chloride is one of many substances used for dust control, soil stabilization and wind erosion reduction.
- Ziegler-Natta catalysts used commercially to produce polyolefins contain Magnesium Chloride as catalyst support. The introduction of MgCl2 supports increases the activity of conventional catalysts and allows the development of highly stereospecific catalysts for polypropylene production.
- Magnesium chloride is used in nutraceutical and pharmaceutical studies.
- Magnesium chloride is used for low temperature defrosting of highways, sidewalks and parking lots. When highways are dangerous due to icy conditions, magnesium chloride helps prevent ice from sticking to the pavement, allowing snowplows to clear roads more efficiently.
- Magnesium chloride (E511) is an important coagulant used in the preparation of tofu from soy milk.
- It is a component of infant formula milk.
- Since magnesium is a mobile nutrient, magnesium chloride can be effectively used in place of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) to help correct magnesium deficiency in plants through foliar feeding.
What is the Sales Price of Magnesium Chloride?
You can call us to find out the current magnesium chloride sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Magnesium Chloride?
As SoleChem Kimya, we sell and supply magnesium chloride.