What is Iron 3 Chloride?
Iron(III) chloride is the inorganic compound with the formula (FeCl3), also called ferric chloride. It is a common iron compound in the +3 oxidation state. This anhydrous compound is a crystalline solid with a melting point of 307.6 °C. The color depends on the viewing angle, with reflected light the crystals appear dark green, but with transmitted light they appear purple-red.
How is Iron 3 Chloride produced?
Anhydrous iron(III) chloride can be prepared by combining the following elements:
2Fe(s) + 3Cl2(g) 2 → FeC3(s)
Iron(III) chloride solutions are produced industrially from both iron and ore in a closed-loop process.
Dissolving iron ore in hydrochloric acid
Fe3O4(s) + 8HCl(aq) → FeC2(aq) + 2FeC3(aq) + 4H2O(I)
Oxidation of iron(II) chloride with chlorine
2FeC2(aq) + Cl2(g) → 2FeCl3(aq)
Oxidation of iron(II) chloride with oxygen
4FeCl 2 (aq) + O2 + 4HCI → 4FeCl3(aq) + 2H2O(I)
What does Iron 3 Chloride look like?
A fragrant and colored liquid
What is the molecular formula of Iron 3 Chloride?
Molecular Formula: FeCl3
In which sectors is Iron 3 Chloride used?
- PVC making industry
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Waste treatment and wastewater treatment plants
- metal industry
- Decoration and home furnishings
- veterinary applications
- Chemical laboratory applications
What are the usage areas (processes) of Iron 3 Chloride?
- Iron (III) chloride is used as a coagulant and flocculant in sewage treatment and in the production of drinking water. In this application, FeCl 3 reacts with the slightly basic water 3 hydroxide ion to form an iron(III) hydroxide pellet, or more precisely, it can remove suspended materials formulated as FeO(OH)-.
- It is also used as a leaching agent in chloride hydrometallurgy, for example in the production of Si from FeSi (Silgrain process).
- Another important application of iron (III) chloride is the etching of copper in a two-step redox reaction to copper (I) chloride and then to copper (II) chloride in the manufacture of printed circuit boards.
- Iron(III) chloride is used as a catalyst for ethylene to react with chlorine, forming ethylene dichloride (1,2-dichloroethane), an important commercial chemical, and is mainly used for the industrial production of vinyl chloride, the monomer to make PVC.
- Its anhydrous form is used as a drying reagent in certain reactions.
- It is used to detect the presence of phenol compounds in organic synthesis, such as examining the purity of synthesized aspirin.
- It is used to precipitate phosphate as iron (III) phosphate in water and wastewater treatment.
- Used in wastewater treatment for odor control.
- It was used by American coin collectors to date Buffalo coins, which were so badly worn that they were no longer visible.
- Used by knifemakers and craftsmen in pattern welding to etch metal, giving it the opposite effect to display metal stratification or imperfections.
- It is used to engrave patterns in iron meteorites.
- It is required for etching photogravure plates for printing photographs and fine art images in intaglio and etching intaglio cylinders used in the printing industry.
- It is used in making printed circuit boards by etching copper.
- It is used to remove the aluminum coating from mirrors.
- It is used to corrode complex medical devices.
- In veterinary practice, it is used to treat excessive clipping of an animal's claws, especially when excessive clipping results in bleeding.
- It reacts with cyclopentadienylmagnesium bromide in the preparation of ferrocene, a metal sandwich complex.
- In Raku, the ware firing technique, iron is used to paint a pottery in shades of pink, brown, and orange.
- It is used to test pitting and crevice corrosion resistance in stainless steels and other alloys.
- It is used with NaI in acetonitrile to slightly reduce organic azides to primary amines.
- It is used in the animal thrombosis model.
- Iron III Chloride is also used in energy storage systems.
What is the Sale Price of Iron 3 Chloride?
You can call us to learn the current ferric chloride sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Iron 3 Chloride?
As SoleChem Kimya, we are selling and supplying ferric chloride.