What is Barium Carbonate?
Barium carbonate is the inorganic compound with the formula BaCO3. Like most alkali metal carbonates, it is a white salt that is sparingly soluble in water. It occurs as the mineral known as witherite. It is one of the most commercially important barium compounds.
Barium carbonate reacts with acids such as hydrochloric acid to form soluble barium salts such as barium chloride:
BaCO3 + 2 HCl → BaCl2 + CO2 + H2O
Pyrolysis of barium carbonate gives barium oxide.
How is Barium Carbonate produced?
Barium carbonate is made commercially from barium sulfide by treating it with sodium carbonate (the soda ash method) at 60 to 70 °C, or more commonly with carbon dioxide at 40 to 90 °C.
In the soda ash process, an aqueous solution of barium sulfide is treated with sodium carbonate:
Bas+H2O + CO2 → BaCO3 + H2S
How does Barium Carbonate look?
It is found in white crystalline form.
What is the molecular formula of Barium Carbonate?
Molecular Formula: BaCO3
In which sectors is Barium Carbonate used?
- In the ceramic industry
- In chlor-alkali processes
- Pottery industry
What are the uses (processes) of Barium Carbonate?
- It is mainly used to remove sulfate impurities from the raw material of chlor-alkali treatment.
- Barium carbonate is widely used in the ceramic industry as a component in the glazing phase. A flux acts as a matting and crystallizing agent and combines with certain coloring oxides to produce unique colors that are not easily achieved by other means. Its use is somewhat controversial, as some claim that secrets can leach into food and drink. To provide a safe way of use, BaO is often used in fritted form.
- In the brick, tile, earthenware and pottery industries, barium carbonate is added to clays to precipitate soluble salts (calcium sulfate and magnesium sulfate) that cause efflorescence.
- Barium carbonate is used for its auxiliary materials in the production of optical glass.
- It is also used in fireworks and flamethrowers.
- It is used as an oxidation catalyst and as a rodenticide and purifying agent.
What is the Barium Carbonate Sale Price?
You can call us to find out the current barium carbonate sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Barium Carbonate?
As SoleChem Kimya, we sell and supply barium carbonate.