What is Ammonium Bicarbonate?
Ammonium bicarbonate is an inorganic compound with the formula (NH4)HCO3, simplified to NH5CO3. The compound is ammonia bicarbonate; ammonium hydrogen carbonate; hartshorn; AmBic; Powder baking has many different names, such as ammonia. Chemically, ammonium bicarbonate is the bicarbonate salt of the ammonium ion. It is a colorless solid that readily converts to carbon dioxide, water, and ammonia.
How is Ammonium Bicarbonate produced?
Ammonium bicarbonate is produced by combining carbon dioxide and ammonia:
CO2 + NH3 + H2O → (NH4) HCO3
Because ammonium bicarbonate is thermally unstable, the reaction solution is kept cold, allowing the product to precipitate as a white solid.
Ammonia gas passed into a strong aqueous solution of sesquicarbonate converts it to normal ammonium carbonate ((NH4) 2CO3), which can be obtained from a solution prepared at about 30°C by crystalline gas. When exposed to air this compound releases ammonia and reverts to ammonium bicarbonate.
What does Ammonium Bicarbonate look like?
It is available in crystalline form and in the form of white powder.
What is the molecular formula of Ammonium Bicarbonate?
Molecular formula: (NH4) HCO3
In which sectors is Ammonium Bicarbonate used?
- food industry
- agriculture sector
- Plastic and rubber industry
- ceramic industry
- leather tanning
- Pharmaceutical industry
What are the usage areas (processes) of Ammonium Bicarbonate?
- Ammonium bicarbonate is used in the food industry as a baking agent for flatbreads such as cookies and crackers. Before modern baking soda was introduced to the market, it was widely used in the home. Although there is a slight odor of ammonia during cooking, this dissipates quickly and leaves no aftertaste. For example, it is used in Swedish “drömmar” biscuits and Danish “brunkager” Christmas cookies and German Lebkuchen. However, it cannot be used for moist, bulky baked goods such as regular bread or cakes, because some ammonia is trapped inside and causes an unpleasant taste.
- It has been assigned the E number E503 for use as a food additive.
- It is widely used as an inexpensive nitrogen fertilizer in China.
- This compound is used as an ingredient in the manufacture of fire extinguishing compounds, drugs, dyes, pigments, and is an essential fertilizer, also a source of ammonia.
- Ammonium bicarbonate is widely used in the plastic and rubber industry, in the manufacture of ceramics, in chrome leather tanning and in the synthesis of catalysts.
- It is also used for buffering solutions to make solutions slightly alkaline during chemical purification such as high performance liquid chromatography. Because it completely decomposes into volatile compounds, this allows rapid recovery of the compound of interest by freeze drying.
- Ammonium bicarbonate is also a key ingredient in the expectorant cough syrup "Senega and Ammonia".
What is the Sales Price of Ammonium Bicarbonate?
You can call us to find out the current ammonium bicarbonate sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Ammonium Bicarbonate?
As SoleChem Kimya, we are selling and supplying ammonium bicarbonate.