What is Aluminum Sulphate?
Aluminum sulfate is a water-soluble chemical compound with the formula Al2(SO4)3. It is mainly used in the purification of drinking water, wastewater treatment plants, as well as in the manufacture of paper as a coagulation agent (neutralizing the charge, promoting particle collision).
The anhydrous form occurs naturally as a rare mineral millosevichite, which is found, for example, in volcanic environments and burning coal mining tailings dumps. Aluminum sulfate is rarely encountered in the form of anhydrous salt. The hexadecahydrate Al2 (SO4) 3·16H2O and the octadecahydrate Al2(SO4)3 · 18H2O form a number of different hydrates, of which the most common. Heptadecahydrate, whose formula can be written as [Al(H2O)6]2(SO4)3·5H2O, occurs naturally as the mineral alunogen.
Aluminum sulfate is sometimes called alum or papermaker's alum in some industries. However, the name "alum" is more commonly and correctly used for any double sulfate salt with the general formula XAl(SO4)2 12H2O where X is a monovalent cation such as potassium or ammonium.
How is Aluminum Sulphate produced?
Aluminum sulfate can be made by adding aluminum hydroxide, Al(OH)3 to sulfuric acid H2SO4:
2 Al (OH) 3 + 3 H2SO4 → Al2 (SO4) 3 + 6 H2O
Another method is to heat aluminum metal in a sulfuric acid solution.
2 Al + 3 H2SO4 → Al2 (SO4) 3 + 3 H2 ↑
How does Aluminum Sulphate look?
It occurs as a white crystalline solid.
What is the molecular formula of Aluminum Sulphate?
Molecular Formula: Al2(SO4)3
In which sectors is Aluminum Sulphate used?
- Preservative in the food industry
- preservative in animal foods
- bleeding stopper
- medical industry
- textile sector
- water treatment systems
- dyeing chemicals
- construction industry
- Agricultural and pesticides
- Fire extinguishing
What are the usage areas (processes) of Aluminum Sulphate?
- Aluminum sulfate is used as a hardener in the food industry with the code E520 and as a bactericide in animal feed.
- Aluminum sulfate can be used as a deodorant or astringent.
- It is a common vaccine aid and does the job of facilitating the slow release of antigen from the graft reservoir formed at the vaccination site.
- Aluminum sulfate is used as a stabilizer in water treatment and in dyeing and printing of textiles.
- In water purification, it allows suspended impurities to coagulate into larger particles and then settle (or filter) to the bottom of the vessel more easily. This process is called coagulation or clumping.
- In dyeing and printing fabric, the gelatinous precipitate renders the pigment insoluble, helping the dye adhere to the garment fibers.
- Aluminum sulfate is sometimes used to lower the pH of garden soil as it hydrolyzes to form aluminum hydroxide precipitate and a dilute sulfuric acid solution.
- It is used as a waterproofing agent and accelerator in concrete in the construction industry.
- It is the foaming agent in fire extinguishing foam.
- It can also be very effective as a molluscide and kills Spanish slugs.
What is the Sale Price of Aluminum Sulphate?
You can call us to find out the current aluminum sulfate sales prices and take advantage of the best prices.
Where Can I Buy Aluminum Sulphate?
As SoleChem Kimya, we are selling and supplying aluminum sulfate.